Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Line Leaders...

I was driving home the other day and was stopped at a red light.  I was the third car in the left lane, and there was no one in the right lane. Slowly, the car in front of me inched out to get in the right lane.  It was something I had almost done.  When the light turned green, the lane changer got back in the left lane, this time in front of the first car...and from there it was a game between the two cars, one passing the other, getting ahead of the line....

This got me thinking about how some things are just remain with us from childhood.
I don't know about you, but when I was in grade school everyone wanted to be a line-leader.  For those readers who don't know what that is, it was the student who got to stand at the head of the line as the class walked single file down to the lunch room, the bathroom, out to the playground, the gym, etc. 

EVERYONE wanted to be the line leader. 

And as I drove down the road, resisting the urge to join the game so that I could watch instead, I realized that we all still want to be line leaders. It's probably not going to get us there any faster, because sooner or later we will come upon another car that is ahead of us...but we still want to lead the way. 

1 comment:

  1. Hey like the thoughts on "line-leader" songwriter myself but Christian writer at that. So the head of my line is occupied by my Lord. News is you'll be coming to the Village Coffee House May 11th, Lord willing I'll be there. God bless.

    ReplyDelete