Friday, May 22, 2009

Nashville!

I woke up today, put on my drivin' dress (that's right, I have a specified outfit for long drives...it's a strapless sundress - can't be getting funny tan lines from my extended time behind the wheel!) and was on my way to Nashville.

First of all, it amuses me the way that scenery almost instantly changes as you cross state lines. That's one thing I've found about the south - each state is extremely distinct in it's landscape (similar to a point, but you know what I mean.) One minute you're riding past the red clay dirt in Georgia, and all of a sudden you're going through the rolling hills of Tennessee.

It was a BEAUTIFUL ride.





Today was a day of many firsts for me - the most obvious one being that it was my first time in Tennessee (minus an hour layover in the airport once...I don't count that.)
Another was as soon as I passed this sign that said "Tennessee Welcomes You," there was a sign that said "Now entering Central Time Zone." I've never seen a sign like that before! I've been in plenty of other time zones, but I've never "crossed over" so officially.

The road took me back into Georgia for a little while and into Tennessee again - all the while everything in my eyesight was just beautiful green, expansive hills. Oh and also a good number of firework warehouses.



After some slight confusion I made my way to the Grand Ole Opry!

I had just missed getting into the tour, so I went for a tour of the museum and waited around for the last tour of the day.

It was a good thing though, because since it was the late afternoon, they were having rehearsal for that evening's performance and I got to hear some great music!

We went backstage AND onstage.


We also had a chance running in with The Whites, who were performing tonight, as well as Larry Gatlin, the Opry's host.



After the tour I went downtown to get some food and to catch some live music before I made my way to Kentucky.
I accidently parked on the same street as the Ryman Auditorium, the original host of the Grand Ole Opry, so I got to see that too!



After getting dinner it was time for me to sit back and enjoy some excellent music - there were performances in every bar and you could hear the honky-tonk all the way up the street! (Which, by the way, was lined with all kinds of people, heavy on the cowboy hats.) It was way fun. 





Nashville's definitely my kind of town. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment