Wednesday, April 1, 2009

April Fool's Day


Happy April, ladies and gentlemen! Usually April 1st is a day of pranks and tomfoolery but I have to be perfectly honest - I've never been a huge fan of the whole idea. True, it can be a fun to pull a small little prank or joke on a friend or family member, but most of the time I find a lot of "jokes" to be kind of mean...and so I'll refrain from potential hilarity.  

That's not to say that I've never participated.

By far the best April Fools Day prank I ever played on anyone was my freshman year of college - it was a retort to a good friend of mine who had REALLY gotten me earlier that day.  In response to his prank, I staged an argument between myself and my roommate, getting our other roomie and the RA involved. We had pre-packed boxes and duffle bags full of trash, staged a shouting match, then had my RA show up in our neighbor's room (the previous guilty party) and tell the boys that I would be moving to a different dorm - ASAP. We enlisted their help carrying my "boxes of belongings" to a different dorm.  I stayed silent and seemingly furious, while the third roommate (uninvolved in the shouting match) sobbed hysterically. Added genius on her part. 

Four city blocks and 6 flights of stairs later we arrived at a dorm room door that had a sign on it that read "April Fools!" He dropped the box and said "I deserved that" and walked away. 

We've never April Fooled each other since.
(To be honest, I haven't April Fooled ANYONE since...it's not my thing...but if you get me, you best be careful...I will return the favor :)

(This freshman year prank session was between myself and my good friend Ryan who you might recognize from pictures of my cd release show - the fabulous bassist dressed in black in this photo. He and Nathan - producer and drummer dressed in white - and I all lived on the same floor freshman year of school at the University of the Arts.) 

1 comment:

  1. ben and i pranked stearns freshmen year too by sending him a fake letter from mary ellen in his mailbox- all about how she thought he wasn't doing a very good job and was going to take him in a new direction to see if it was any better and could he work on "memory" from cats, and "i dreamed a dream" from les miz etc etc. hahaha he is STILL mad i think. :-)

    miss you friend

    ReplyDelete