Tuesday, October 5, 2010

"We Are All In This Together..."

"I write about things that matter to me. Things that are close to my heart. And it's my hope that through music we can connect with one another, to better understand that we are all alike, and that no one is alone."

I said that once - I'd say it again.

This week there has been a lot of coverage about a shocking increase in reported gay teen suicides (emphasis on reported) including two 13 year old children. These boys barely even make it into the category "teen" at all.

The news stories talk about how these kids were bullied - made to think that they are different, that they are alone.

It makes me sick to my stomach to think of the way that this issue is being handled. Because it's not just children joking around or being mean - it is adults who continue to support a message of hate and intolerance. Even that word, intolerance, is wrong, because we should not "tolerate" each others differences, we should ACCEPT them. Because we all have differences. It is part of what makes us all alike.

To teach a child that being homosexual is wrong is like teaching a child that the color hair they were born with is sinful.

Think back to when you first felt the feelings of a "crush" on a boy or girl in your school class. You didn't choose to have feelings for them, it just happened. How about when you suddenly had feelings for someone who had been a platonic friend for years and you never thought about dating? You no more chose those feelings than you chose to be as tall or short as you are. It is part of the gift of human nature.

You may or may not have noticed that I never discuss things of a personal or political nature when it comes to my public self. Yes, I have opinions. I follow a certain faith, I believe in certain ways things should be run. But I don't discuss them openly, not publicly, because to me, the most important thing about music is bringing people together. I want someone to hear a song about my personal struggles and realize that they are not alone in theirs - that we are all struggling together - and that while sometimes we feel like we are alone, we indeed are not.

This is how I got through the most difficult challenges of my childhood and young adult life. Relating to those I heard share their story via song - because that was a language I spoke.
Do you remember what it was like to be 13? I do. I already felt different and strange. And yes, alone. And I didn't have anyone cramming my existence down my throat.

I want to alienate no one, because everyone has a struggle, and no one should be made to feel alone.

But what I write about today is not a political issue. It is not one of faith, it is not one of liberal or conservative standpoint. It is an issue about human rights. It is an issue about human interaction. And I cannot simply stay quiet while people are being mistreated and misrepresented.

It is often assumed that people of a strong religious background support the idea that homosexuality is a choice and a sin. I come from a very religious family, and am very dedicated to my faith. But my faith tells me to love one another, not discriminate against.

They say that the internet is written in ink - so let it be shown and never erased - I do NOT support those who preach a message of hate against those who are homosexual. I stand for an equal society.




To those struggling - those being told that they are less important and valid than they truly are - you are NOT alone, and the world needs you.

1-866-4-U-Trevor

(Credit to singer/songwriter Ben Lee for the title, "We Are All In This Together.")

1 comment: